WORCESTER City’s joint manager John Snape apologised to the travelling fans after seeing his side fall to their first Midland League Premier Division defeat of the season against promotion rivals Coventry United.

City, who have played seven competitive game in the opening month, looked second best as United scored two goals in a dominant five-minute period in the second half before wrapping up the 3-0 victory with a third.

“We weren’t good enough, "said Snape.

"We started the second half sloppy and were under relentless pressure at times and we’ve gone under a bit.

“We brought the pressure on ourselves. We didn’t keep the ball well enough which has happened in the last two games.

“They’ve got some momentum and some good players but so have we and we haven’t turned up for whatever reason.

“We weren’t good enough from start to finish and that’s plain to see.

"I’d like to apologise to the travelling fans for that and we will put it right next weekend.”

Sensing City were weakened from a number of injuries the resurgent hosts piled on the early pressure forcing Tom Palmer into a number of early saves.

Craig Reid was the first to seriously test the City keeper, skipping into the box before shooting low but Palmer was equal to the effort.

City looked content to slow the game down and frustrate their hosts and created little in the opening half-an-hour.

That was until Tyler Weir earned a free-kick on the edge of the box which was whipped in and found the head of Mark Danks but he could only guide his effort wide.

On the stroke of half-time United’s skipper Chris Cox forced Palmer back into action with a well-hit effort from outside the box which the young keeper did well to save.

Coventry started the second half in similar fashion to the first with former Kidderminster Harriers forward Reid linking up with Lewis Rankin but the winger could only blaze over from the angle.

Rankin put his side ahead on 51st minutes when City failed to clear their defensive lines and the winger fired in from close range.

Danks almost levelled a minute later catching Richard Morris napping and rifling goalwards but the goalkeeper just kept it out.

United responded with a second goal on 53 minutes when Rankin’s cross was cleared only to Reid in front of goal and the marksman rifled the ball past Palmer.

It was almost three moments later as former Coventry City winger Rankin ran clear before cutting inside and firing inches wide of the post.

Coventry sealed the victory with a third when full-back Jeff Woodward picked the top corner out from outside the box giving Palmer no chance with an audacious goal.

Worcester’s best chance came with eight minutes remaining when young substitute Aaron Brett broke through the defence before shooting low only to be denied by a fine save.

Danks also went close late on with Morris caught off his line but he was denied by a last-ditch defensive block as Coventry ran out comfortable victors.

City: Palmer, Weir, J Smith (Chiwara 58), Fishwick, M Smith, Albert, Birley (Lewis), Forsyth, Danks, Reynolds, Baldwin (Brett 54). Subs not used: Gwynne, Lockett.

Attendance: 623.