WORCESTER Wolves closed the gap on British Basketball League leaders Newcastle Eagles to just two points after thrashing Cheshire Jets.

Sherrad Prezzie-Blue hit 20 points, while Richie Gordon registered a double-double of 17 points and a massive 19 rebounds as Wolves made it eight wins in a row.

The away success came hot on the heels on Saturday night’s 95-80 triumph over Sheffield Sharks at the University of Worcester.

Two long-range baskets from Lithuanian Arnas Kazlauskas helped Wolves take a 16-11 lead midway through the opening period, but four points from Jets forward Colin O’Reilly quickly brought his side back in contention.

In the final minute of the period, Worcester began to pull clear after Jets centre Matt Schneck was awarded an unsportsmanlike foul for a deliberate push on Gordon, who duly sank the resultant foul shots for a 24-21 lead.

The second quarter opened with scores from Jets’ American duo Adam Brown and Bill Cole to reduce the deficit to 26-25. However, consecutive scores from Wolves’ own transatlantic trio of Gordon, Prezzie-Blue and Tommy Freeman took matters back out to 32-25.

Schneck once more caused problems for the hosts when picking up a technical foul for disputing a decision by referee Roger Harrison. Freeman made the free throws and Callum Jones converted on the next possession for a 36-25 advantage.

Prezzie-Blue performed a mazy dribble for a score that mesmerized the crowd, before a Jones assist to David Watts for a buzzer-beating triple capped a 23-11 quarter that sent Wolves into the interval break 49-32 ahead.

The second-half began with a long-range score from Prezzie-Blue and a Gordon blocking Schneck’s attempt.

Carlos Fernandez extended the visitors’ lead to 23 points at 61-38 midway through the third quarter, before a 13-3 burst from the Jets, including eight points from Brown, saw them rally.

However, baskets from Prezzie-Blue and Gordon made sure the Wolves remained comfortably in front at 68-51 heading into the final ten minutes.

With three minutes gone in the final quarter, an enormous dunk from Gordon brought the Wolves bench and fans to their feet in admiration to widen the visitors’ advantage to 76-53, effectively ending any lingering Jets resistance.

As the game wound down, several other Worcester players were able to relax and showcase their moves. Jones took a lob pass from Prezzie-Blue for an alley-oop score as Wolves led 90-61 with just two minutes left. Jones completed the scoring when stealing the ball from the Jets attackers and converting a double-pump jam.