Leicester Tigers 34 Worcester Warriors 13

WORCESTER Warriors’ long wait for a victory at Welford Road continues after a comprehensive defeat at the home of the 10-times English champions.

And a late mistake from fly-half Ryan Lamb cost Carl Hogg’s side a chance to press for a losing bonus point in the Aviva Premiership clash.

Warriors were punished heavily in the first half for dropping off tackles and a poor kick-chase game as Tigers amassed a 20-0 lead at the break.

Although Warriors rallied in the second-half to reduce arrears to 27-13, they ultimately didn’t show enough composure to get within a score of the hosts.

Warriors have lost on all 14 trips to Leicester and it was another harsh lesson on the ruthlessness of top-end clubs.

Worcester must be applauded for their enterprise in trying to play an expansive game but it was weak tackling that let them down.

There’s no denying Warriors have been plagued by injuries and are operating without a host of frontline players but question marks remain over Worcester’s best fit at number 10.

Ryan Lamb was good and bad in equal measures against one of his former clubs.

Lamb is excellent at getting the backline fizzing but he didn’t influence the game as much as his opposite number Owen Williams and his error led to the final Tigers’ try.

Teenager Jamie Shillcock and Dean Hammond both showed plenty of commitment as did former Tigers academy player Perry Humphreys before he limped off with a knee injury.

Late replacements Christian Scotland-Williamson and Matti Williams made inroads with charges in the closing minutes.

The visitors finished with 14 men because they did not have a fit loosehead prop after injuries to Val Rapava Ruskin and Na’ama Leleimalefaga.

Warriors made a bright start at Welford Road and, after turning down a kickable penalty, pushed for the try-line only for Ruskin to be turned over a metre short.

Williams’ penalty fired Leicester ahead, following a high tackle from Donncha O’Callaghan before Lamb’s long-range effort lacked distance and direction.

Williams added a second penalty before the hosts capped a sustained period of pressure with the first try from wing Tom Brady. Williams slotted the simple conversion.

Warriors responded and had another crack at the Tigers’ line only for Hammond to be penalised for failing to release the ball.

Warriors switched off and Tigers full-back Telusa Veainu evaded five attempted tackles to score a remarkable solo try.

The livewire ran 60 metres through a disorganised defence and Williams converted.

Two penalties from Lamb finally got Warriors moving and they frustrated the majority of the 20,854 crowd for the first 20 minutes of the second period.

Logovi’i Mulipola burrowed over for a converted try after an uncontested five-metre scrum before Warriors hit back.

Hooker Jaba Bregvadze peeled off a rolling maul to score his first try for Warriors and Lamb added the extras. Tigers had the final word after Williams pounced on a mistake by Lamb in his own 22.

Williams was halted by Hammond but Tigers kept the ball alive and former Warrior Graham Kitchener forced his way over for the fly-half to convert.