WORCESTER Warriors could not turn their second-half dominance into points as they crashed to a 26-12 Aviva Premiership derby defeat against Wasps at Sixways.

Alafoti Fa’osiliva worked tirelessly at number eight and Cooper Vuna was full of running on the wing but Wasps’ solid defence proved the difference.

Rob Miller, a late replacement at fly-half for the injured Danny Cipriani, finished with an impressive 16-point haul for Wasps.

Carl Hogg’s side did well at the scrum but struggled badly at the line-out with five throws from hooker Jaba Bregvadze going astray.

Worcester remain second from bottom in the table and their Boxing Day trip to basement boys Bristol looks like being a Titanic tussle.

The hosts made the worst possible start when Wasps raced through to open the scoring after just 54 seconds.

A flat pass from teenage fly-half Jamie Shillcock was intercepted by centre Brendan Macken who ran unopposed from halfway to score and Rob Miller added the extras.

Warriors responded and after winning a penalty at the breakdown Shillcock split the posts with his fourth-minute kick.

After Donncha O’Callaghan was pinged at the breakdown, Miller kicked a penalty to put the visitors 10-3 in front.

Warriors’ pack drove Wasps’ scrum backwards at their own feed and Shillcock’s second penalty reduced arrears to 10-6.

Wasps threatened the Worcester line from a five-metre driving line-out but the hosts’ defence held firm under intense pressure and Thomas Young was penalised for holding on.

A surging run through midfield from Bryce Heem put Warriors on the front foot and only desperate defence from the visitors kept out the hosts.

However, Wasps infringed and Shillcock’s third kick cut the deficit to 10-9.

Warriors appeared to be building momentum and a sparkling run down the left from Vuna had the Sixways crowd on their feet.

But prop Nick Schonert spilled the pass with the try line beckoning and the balance shifted.

Miller slotted his second penalty after 30 minutes and added another moments later after flanker Sam Lewis was pinged at the breakdown.

Shillcock replied with a 35-metre penalty five minutes before the interval to keep Warriors in touch at 16-12.

But further Warriors ill-discipline cost them as Miller slotted his fourth penalty to give Wasps a 19-12 half-time lead which was harsh on the hosts.

Warriors made a slow start to the second period which stemmed from their failure to gather the kick-off and the lively Dan Robson darted through a gaping hole for Wasps’ second touchdown.

Miller’s conversion stretched Wasps’ lead to 26-12.

Shillcock had an opportunity to get Warriors back into the reckoning but the teenager pulled his penalty wide in the 54th minute.

Warriors were within a whisker of crossing the whitewash in the 63rd minute after a darting run from Vuna created an opportunity.

But Fa’osiliva’s try was disallowed because Wynand Olivier’s pass was ruled forward.

Worcester, with Vuna full of life, continued to dominate possession and territory but they just could not find a way through.

Warriors’ desire and effort could not be called into question.

But the hosts’ frustration was compounded when Jackson Willison could not hang on to Josh Adams’ pass with the line beckoning.