A UK Safety Alert has now been issued for small high-powered magnetic products that nearly killed a Worcester school boy.

Ellis Tripp,11, was rushed to hospital after swallowing five of the tiny magnets that were used as 'fake tongue piercings' in a viral TikTok video.

The Nunnery Wood High School pupil is still not out of the woods after enduring several invasive operations to remove the magnets and correct the damage they caused to his bowels and intestines.

His heartbroken family say the only 'good' to come out of the 'nightmare' is the new safety alert issued on the 'fidget toys'.

The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS), the UK’s national product safety regulator, issued a Safety Alert in May to warn of the risk of serious injury and death from swallowing small high-powered magnets.

The OPSS Safety Alert follows increasing reports of injuries from ingestion of magnets, particularly among children and young people.

Businesses and online platforms have been reminded of their obligations under product safety law.

They must now remove from the market products containing small magnets which breach the safety requirements of the Toy Safety Regulations or the General Product Safety Regulations.

Specifically, businesses and retail platforms are advised to remove from the market any products that breach the magnetic flux index where there is a risk that magnets may be ingested by a child.

They must also ensure that clear warnings are included with any products that contain magnets, where there is a risk of ingestion.

The public is also being asked to take appropriate steps to keep these products away from children as ingestion could result in a serious or fatal injury.

Social media campaigns have been targeted at parents or guardians so they understand the signs of magnetic ingestion and act quickly to get immediate medical treatment if they believe a magnet has been swallowed.

OPSS Chief Executive Graham Russell said: "OPSS has taken this important step because the magnets market is changing, with an increasing number being incorporated into a wider range of products, including jewellery and other novelty items.

"There have been several incidents involving children and young people swallowing small magnets and there is a very real risk of serious injury or worse.

"OPSS is working closely with stakeholders and local authorities to gather detailed evidence of the market as a whole and is now taking action against these specific products."