A MAN has admitted threatening a former friend who failed to pay him compensation for stealing personal items including a phone, iPod and sat nav.

Rickie McCullough was promised £300 from Jack Sharp after the latter admitted stealing a number of electrical items and bank statements from his car.

But Worcester Magistrates’ Court was told that 27-year-old McCullough harassed Mr Sharp by turning up at his home and workplace when the money was not handed over.

Prosecutor Chris Coughlan told magistrates that the defendant, from Comhampton, Ombersley, near Worcester, tried to enforce the debt by threats and bullying.

On December 29 last year, the court was told how McCullough went to Mr Sharp’s home in Pershore, but only the victim’s partner was in. “She called the police telling them he (the defendant) had gone to the address making threats through her to do things to him,” said Mr Coughlan.

“She was extremely frightened and scared.” The following day, he turned up at Mr Sharp’s workplace in Worcester and according to Mr Coughlan, told him “you are going to get it, Jack”.

The solicitor said the offence put him in breach of a crown court suspended sentence for possessing a class-C drug. McCullough admitted a charge of harassment on the day the case was due to go to trial. Chris Aggrey, defending McCullough, said his client was “easily led”.

“He has had problems in the past and has led a bit of a chaotic lifestyle,” he told the court. “He was initially friends with the complainant. Mr McCullough’s car was broken into.

“He believes he was targeted and Mr Sharp admitted the theft and agreed to pay him £300 compensation, although Mr McCullough thinks the value was far more than that.”

Mr Aggrey said his client insisted nothing had been paid. At first he tried phoning him and went to his work address,” he said. “He got more and more frustrated and things got out of hand. He accepts responsibility for his despicable behaviour.”

His solicitor said that by pleading guilty he has “spared witnesses the trauma of giving evidence at trial”. Chairman of the bench Keith Stevens said the case would be committed to crown court for sentencing as he felt the defendant needed greater punishment than the magistrates could give out. He will be sentenced at Worcester Crown Court on May 10.