TRIBUTES have been paid to a “good dad” from Worcester who was found dead at home.

Chef Simon Jennings was founded dead in the bathroom of his flat above the Lyppard Grange pub in Ankerage Green, Warndon Villages, Worcester, on Friday, July 17.

An inquest into the death of the 32-year-old father-of-four held yesterday (Monday) heard that Mr Jennings hanged himself.

His distraught family claim work pressures caused by an ongoing disciplinary became too much.

Mr Jennings had been involved in ongoing disciplinary proceedings with his employers, Mitchells and Butlers, since December last year and his family told the Worcester News it was “the final straw”.

The inquest heard the ongoing situation at work had put great strain on Mr Jennings’ relationship and family life.

He was discovered by his wife Joanna, the pub’s manager, and had left two notes outside the locked bathroom door.

Worcestershire coroner Geraint Williams said: “He (Mr Jennings) had employment difficulties which caused him considerable anxiety and placed a great deal of strain upon his family.

Before his death Mr Jennings himself believed he was suffering from bipolar disorder and was experiencing low mood, anxiety, stress and depression. He had been prescribed anti-depressants.

Both Mr Jennings’ widow, Joanna Jennings (the mother of his four children), and his mother-in-law, Carole Gilby, attended the inquest.

Mrs Jennings, who still works at the pub, declined to comment to the Worcester News.

However, her mother Mrs Gilby, speaking on behalf of the family, said Mr Jennings changed because of the stress associated with his work. She said he had been “a good dad who loved his kids”.

Before the disciplinary matters Mr Jennings was described as “happy” and “fun” but changed afterwards and would not even get out of bed.

She said: “He became anxious and depressed. His relationship with his wife became strained because of his anxiety.”

In a statement to the coroner the family said: “The company have treated Simon terribly. They have never stopped going after him and trying to sack him since he won a tribunal case against the company in 2012.”

Mr Jennings had previously won a tribunal claim against the company and they were ordered to pay him £12,000 in compensation, as reported in the Worcester News in August 2012.

Mr Jennings was reinstated after he was accused of falsifying stock accounts at the Lyppard Grange in Warndon Villages after a tribunal ruled he had been unfairly dismissed.

The case was heard at the Birmingham Employment Tribunal. Mr Jennings made a compensation claim for unfair dismissal against the Birmingham brewery, complaining he had been forced to leave the premises via a back door following his dismissal and had been barred from the pub. Tribunal judge John Goodier said he had been unfairly dismissed.

Before he was reinstated he could not enter the pub for 13 months, which his family believe contributed to his mental health problems.

But the family say other incidents followed and, in one instance, he was threatened with disciplinary action over the state of the kitchen even though he had not been at work for three days.

He also received a final written warning in August 2013 after £1,000 went missing from the pub. It was never discovered who took the money, Mrs Gilby said.

He was suspended again for a verbal argument with a member of staff which meant he was barred from the pub for a further seven months until his death, placing him once more in a state of limbo.

His funeral on August 11 was held in Swindon, where he used to work in another pub, and Mrs Gilby said the service was well-attended by friends.

A spokesperson for Mitchells and Butlers said: “We take the wellbeing of our employees very seriously however, it is our policy not to discuss individual employment matters and so therefore are unable to comment further.”

Mr Williams recorded a conclusion of suicide.