A DRIVER was treated for shock and possible smoke inhalation after a van caught fire and exploded in London Road, Worcester just yards from a petrol station.

Eyewitnesses said they heard a loud explosion during the blaze which is near to the Tesco Express petrol station.

The fire was reported to have been caused by waste in the back, including batteries and oil catching fire.

Flames and smoke could be seen pouring from the van while firefighters were on the scene.

People are being asked to avoid the area.

The van was reported to have been on fire for five minutes, whilst the petrol station was forced to close for around half an hour whilst the fire was being put out.

The Environment Agency are on their way to the scene to assess the damage done to the area by spilt liquids.

Hereford and Worcester Fire Service were in attendance, whilst Police were on hand to manage the traffic.

The fire service were called at 11.47am this morning and two crews were in attendance.

Two crews attended and they stayed there until 2.34pm.

Highways control were also in attendance.

No major injuries were reported and the patient did not need to go to hospital.