A SHOPLIFTER was foiled by a man who tied his shoelaces together to stop him escaping from police during a dramatic chase and violent struggle.

Daniel Cox, of Wyld's Lane in Worcester, stole items from Wilko in the city before fighting with PC Matthew Waite, pushing a toddler and threatening to spit in the officer's face while claiming he had hepatitis B.

Cox was eventually caught as a member of the public tied his shoelaces together as he was resisting the officer and another man helped by radioing PC Waite's colleagues.

PC Waite said: "I would like to thank the members of the public that assisted me during the incident.

"The assistance received involved someone using my police radio to alert my control room and another member of the public even tying the offender's shoelaces together to prevent him escaping during a very violent struggle.

"I was shocked at the level of aggression and sheer desperation to evade arrest that was shown by the offender and I am extremely grateful for the assistance provided by the members of the public that helped."

Cox, 30, was originally asked to empty his bag by PC Waite at 11.45am on Sunday as he left the Wilko in High Street, as he was suspected of shoplifting.

He refused and a scuffle broke out which led to Cox suffering a head injury and bleeding heavily.

Items on shelves fell to the ground as Cox struggled to get away from the officer.

Cox managed to escape and run down the High Street, pushing members of the public including a toddler out of the way.

The PC followed him to Copenhagen Street Car Park where he hid under a car.

PC Waite says he was forced to hit Cox with a baton as he continued to struggle. He then threatened to spit at the officer, claiming he had Hepatitis B.

During the struggle, a member of the public helped to tie the shoplifter's laces together to prevent him escaping, whilst another person used the police radio to let PC Waite's colleagues know what had happened.

PC Waite only suffered grazes during the incident but went to hospital as a precaution to check his blood had not been contaminated by Cox.

Cox appeared at Redditch Magistrates Court on Tuesday, charged with stealing air freshener and fabric softener from Wilko and confectionary from Sainsbury's in a separate incident, as well as assaulting a police officer.

He was jailed for 16 weeks after admitting the offence and told to pay compensation to PC Waite.