THE best friend of a 20-year-old man who remains in hospital after an attack, has said everyone is “rooting for him”.

Jake Holmes, of Worcester, was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham after the incident on Saturday night in Lowesmoor.

Two men arrested following the incident, which occurred around 9pm, have been released.

An eye witness described a fight between Mr Holmes and another man, believed to be his partner, which left the former bleeding from the ear after hitting his head on a kerb.

Mum Tina Holmes wrote on Facebook that her son is suffering from a fractured skull and bleeding to his brain.

Friend Chris Penney said: “I wish him and his family all the best. All of Jake’s proper mates, we are rooting for him. Everyone just wants to see him get better. Everyone is here for him.”

A 17-year-old male has been released from custody with no further action to be taken, while a 37-year-old is on police bail and has not been charged at this time, police have confirmed.

Mr Penney, 21, who met Mr Holmes while they were both students at Bishop Perowne Church of England College, said he believes £900 has already been raised to be donated to his friend.

In the meantime, he and other friends of Mr Holmes are hoping to organise some fundraising events to raise funds of their own.

“He loves music and going to festivals – we just want to do something for him,” said Mr Penney, of Pershore.

Writing on Facebook on Sunday, Mrs Holmes said: "I'm absolutely heartbroken to have to tell you all that my boy Jake was attacked last night in town.

"He's now in intensive care in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. With a fractured skull and bleeding to his brain and cochlear implant.

"He's critical but getting the best care. The only reason I'm putting this on here is because the police are asking for witnesses, so please if u hear anything please let them know.

"And I'm begging you all to pray for my boy, thank you."

DI Chris Watson said police are still looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Ring police on 101 quoting incident number 777s of August 18 if you have information.