TWO men are facing lengthy jail sentences after being convicted of two knife-point robberies in the city.

Daniel Martin, 29, and Tommy Lee Jauncey, 21, were yesterday found guilty by a jury after a week-long trial at Worcester Crown Court.

There were gasps and crying in the packed public gallery of court three as the jury foreman returned the verdicts, and Martin later threatened to jump the dock.

The court heard that Martin, who was previously jailed for manslaughter for killing convicted sex offender Andrew Heath in 2013, now faces a possible life sentence.

Martin, of no fixed abode but with links to Warndon, and Jauncey, of St George's Lane, Worcester, had denied involvement in the robberies that were committed days apart in Warndon.

Martin and Jauncey robbed Papa John's pizza delivery driver Daniel McLaren in an alleyway near Brookthorpe Close on February 19.

Mr McLaren was confronted by a man in a ski mask who held a knife to his neck, demanding money. The prosecution said this was Martin who, after Mr McLaren said he did not have any cash, responded by saying: "You don't want to get stabbed do you?"

John Brotherton, prosecuting, added that a second man, who came later and was also wearing a ski mask and held a knife to the delivery driver’s throat, was Jauncey.

A pizza delivery pouch, wallet and Samsung mobile phone were stolen in the robbery on February 19.

In the second robbery, Martin targeted taxi driver Mohammed Jejengir in Chedworth Close, Warndon, on February 21, while Jauncey hid in a bush.

The taxi driver picked out Martin at a police identity parade. Mr Jejengir said Martin held a screwdriver to his neck and, while bending over, a foot long knife fell out of Martin’s pocket.

The driver said Martin had demanded ‘notes’, stealing between £60 and £70 in cash and his mobile phone.

During the trial, the jury heard evidence from Kathleen Biddle who said the pair confessed to the robberies at her home in Rodborough Drive, Warndon, and she saw the contents of Mr McLaren's wallet including a donor card and ID card.

Police found a knife hidden behind a dog bin in an alleyway near Sainsbury's, Warndon, based on information she gave them.

Martin and Jauncey had said they did not know Miss Biddle and had never been to her house.

Jauncey's defence was that he was not a friend of Martin, and was in Bromsgrove during the robberies, while Martin said he had been set up.

But the jury of six men and six women was unanimous in their guilty verdicts.

Jauncey was found not guilty by majority verdicts on three other charges – threatening to kill, threatening to destroy property and damaging property.

Martin shouted out "I'm innocent" when he was taken down to the cells, with Judge Nicolas Cartwright warning him to be quiet.

Martin later refused to be brought back into court saying he "would jump the dock", so proceedings continued without him present.

Extra security was also brought into court at one point, and the judge offered members of the jury the opportunity to be escorted to their cars or to public transport.

The judge adjourned the case for pre-sentence reports, which will consider Jauncey's mental health and the danger that Martin poses to society.

Martin and Jauncey will return to the court for sentencing on a date to be set between October 8 and October 26. Both are in custody.