A HOSPITAL trust has apologised for a mum’s treatment at Worcestershire Royal after she was allegedly administered medication, including morphine, before she was given an identity band.

Michelle Hill went to the hospital last Sunday evening with gallbladder pains and claims she was not given a wristband – which includes important patient information – for four hours, while in A&E.

In that time, the 39-year-old said she was given medication after her arrival around 9pm and asked by several staff who she was and why she was there, before her friend asked for a band.

She said she was told all the wards were full, before eventually being moved to a ward doorway where she spent a day-and-a-half on a trolley.

“I was left in a corridor on morphine on a bed by a door,” she explained.

“There were people with [catheter] bags left on corridors – I was left after having pain relief with no name band and a nurse didn’t even know why I was there, even though I was on fluids and pain relief.

“I was banged about four times was put by open doors.

“The floor was dirty, and the doctor dropped my wipe she used to take blood on the floor and picked up and wiped my arm with it still.”

She said that when she was moved to a ward, the staff were “very rude and horrible” to a 91-year-old woman who was “confused and very ill” in a bed next to her.

Ms Hill, from Malvern, said she is due to go back to the hospital for further checks and may need an operation but is worried by the prospect following her previous experience.

The mum-of-three had her last child three years ago at the hospital, but now says: “I never want to go back”.

“I just think it’s disgusting,” she added. “I know they are stretched, but there was no need for that sort of behaviour.”

Referring to the lack of an ID band, she said: “I could’ve been anybody – they need to pull their finger out.”

“Something needs to be done,” she added.

A spokesman for Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust apologised for Ms Hill’s concerns after her experience in A&E.

However, he did not comment in regards to her claims that she was given medication before an identity band or that a doctor dropped a wipe on the floor before using it.

The spokesman said: “We’re sorry to hear of Ms Hill’s concerns around the care she received in our A&E department.

“Our staff work extremely hard to deliver the safest, highest quality care they can in often very difficult circumstances.”

Ms Hill said the A&E department was not particularly busy when she arrived and felt there was no reason why regular protocol couldn’t have been followed.

However the spokesman said: “Sunday evening was a very busy period in our A&E department.

“During the busiest periods it is sometimes necessary to utilise a corridor in the department to enable us to treat all the patients who attend.

“It is important to note that the corridors referred to are a fully enclosed part of our A&E department, and these patients are cared for by the same doctors and nurses as any other patient in the department.”

He added: “We would welcome the opportunity to discuss any issues around Ms Hill’s care, and would encourage her to get in touch with her concerns.”