THE tragic death of student Tom Jones brought the city together and it will always remember him.

The 18-year-old’s body was sadly discovered in the River Severn on September 28 following a major search after the University of Worcester student went missing just over a week before.

Friend Harley Hetherington helped co-ordinate an army of volunteer searchers who scoured the city and beyond in the days after Tom’s disappearance, in the early hours of September 19.

The teenager, from Bromsgrove, had only moved to Worcester days before he went missing following a night out, but the city quickly adopted him as one of their own.

After the discovery of his body, tributes covered Sabrina Bridge and were piled high either side of the River Severn bank before a candlelit vigil saw hundreds come out to say goodbye.

In a particularly poignant moment, everyone turned on their phone torches as Oasis’ Wonderwall – a favourite of Tom’s – was played.

Speaking at the vigil, the teenager’s dad, Ian Jones, said: “We are absolutely overwhelmed.

"As parents we couldn't be any prouder of him and his achievements.”

David Green, university vice chancellor, said the vigil was the “most extraordinary demonstration of love and solidarity for a young man who was clearly outstanding”.

The Facebook group set up by Harley to help find his lifelong friend, Find Jonah, was changed to Remember Jonah with friends and family able to share their memories.

A petition called for the Sabrina Bridge to be renamed ‘Jonah Bridge’ – an idea which was considered by local authorities.

However, the county council then announced a different lasting memorial to the student would be incorporated into refurbishment works around the bridge, rather than renaming it.

Speaking following the inquest on Tuesday, West Mercia Detective Inspector Tony Garner, who led the missing person investigation, said: “Tom's death has affected the community and all of the officers involved in the case deeply.

“Today was understandably an emotional day for Tom's family and our sympathies remain with his family and friends.”

Coroner Geraint Williams could not contain his emotions and cried during the inquest, as he looked at a photo of Tom.