A MAN who died after being hit by a train near Worcester was attempting to cross a footpath in foggy conditions, investigators have said.

The 72-year-old, from Birmingham, was named yesterday (February 21) by Worcestershire Coroners Court as Jeffrey Foxall.

An investigation has been launched by the Government’s Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) following Mr Foxall’s death on February 6.

Coroners opened an inquest on February 18.

At around 9.55am on the day of the incident, Mr Foxall was crossing the railway lines off Evelench Lane, Tibberton, at No. 8 footpath and was hit by an approaching train travelling from Nottingham to Cardiff.

The train was travelling at 99mph (158km/h) and the pensioner sustained fatal injuries.

READ MORE: Man dies after being hit by train in Tibberton

Evidence indicates that another train travelling in the opposite direction had passed the crossing shortly before, said RAIB.

A spokesman said: “The member of the public had been waiting at the crossing for the passage of that train.

“He then started to cross seemingly unaware that another train was approaching. The weather at the time of the accident was foggy.

“Our investigation will encompass examination of the measures in place to control the risks associated with use of this crossing in foggy conditions and consider the relevance of the passing of the two trains in the region of the crossing.

“Our investigation is independent of any investigation by the railway industry, the British Transport Police or by the industry’s regulator, the Office of Rail and Road.

“We will publish our findings, including any recommendations to improve safety, at the conclusion of our investigation.”

This report will be available on the RAIB website.

On February 6, a spokesman for British Transport Police said the emergency services were called at 10.04am and the incident was “not currently being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner”.

He confirmed the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

National Rail reported on the day that trains were being disrupted between Bromsgrove and Cheltenham Spa due to the incident, and disruptions lasted until midday.