IT must be a frightening prospect to have a potentially fatal allergy.

To know a food stuff - enjoyed by many without a second thought - could make you dangerously ill must add an extra complication to everyday life.

You would be forgiven for thinking - in today’s careful culture - that this could be easily managed. Food labels are required and we are increasingly more savvy about checking exactly what has gone into what we are eating.

So it makes it even more shocking when something goes wrong.

Sarah Crossley’s son Tom may easily have eaten a slice of a cake bought at a farm shop - and, with no warning label, ingested the peanuts to which he is allergic.

The consequences of that doesn’t bear thinking about and it is fortunate that he did not. But Tom shouldn’t have had to rely on good luck and the frustration of his mother at the cake supplier is more than understandable.

She says: “Every person that sells food items should be aware of how tragic their lazy, thoughtless attitude could be.”

We couldn’t agree more.

Read: Cake without nut allergy warning could have killed my son