A COMMUNITY stalwart has died at the age of 77, following a brave battle with cancer.

(Michael) Roy Simpson "Simmo" who was from Warndon in Worcester, worked as a police detective in the city for 30 years, having joined the police in 1968 retiring in 1998.

One of his sons, Ian Simpson, said: “My father was a very well respected member of the community and he lived and worked in Warndon.

“I remember as a child walking through town and even people he had arrested would stop and say hello to him as he was a fair man who always referred to people he had arrested as clients or customers, never criminals.”

Mr Simpson had separated from his first wife, Carole, but the pair bore no animosity towards each other and remained lifelong friends.

On his retirement, he moved to Spain but tragedy struck when his second wife, Elizabeth died ten years later.

Mr Simpson moved back to Worcestershire and married his third wife, Gill, and they remained married until his death.

Towards the end of his life, he remained at home, cared for by his wife, Gill, who nursed him through his myeloma cancer illness, using the skills she had gained during her working life as a palliative care nurse.

Mr Simpson appeared in the Worcester News in 1972, when he received a bravery certificate for risking his own life saving an elderly woman from a blazing home in Blanquettes Street, Worcester.

Mr Simpson said to the reporter at the time: “I never thought anything about it.

“I was in uniform and therefore expected to do the work.”

During his younger years, Mr Simpson was a keen sportsman, having been a member of the West Mercia Police football team as well a representing Worcester at skittles.

He supported Myeloma UK‎, the RNLI and the Midlands Air Ambulance charities is anyone wishes to donate.

He leaves behind his wife, Gill, sons Kevin, David and Ian and grandchildren Georgia (20), Phoebe (19) , Neeva (15) and Monty (10), all of whom he loved dearly.

Mr Simpson’s funeral will take place at 11:30 on Thursday July 4 at the Worcester Crematorium, followed by a wake at the Barbourne Ex-Servicemen’s Club, The Moors in Worcester.

Mr Simpson passed away peacefully on Monday June 17 with Gill by his side.

READ MORE: Villagers are divided in Rushwick about the length of their grass verges