A CROWDFUNDING campaign has been launched to raise money for the funeral of Alessandro Frumenzi.

Earlier this week police confirmed that a body found in the River Severn near Kempsey was the 18-year-old.

That discovery brought to an end a major search of the river, after a young man was spotted going into the river off Sabrina Bridge in the early hours of last Saturday.

READ MORE: Search launched after report of teenager falling into river

During the search CCTV pictures were released to identify the teenager, who was later informally identified as Mr Frumenzi from Leverkusen but living in Worcester, studying at Heart of Worcestershire College since the autumn 2018 term.

The search involved a police helicopter deploying its searchlight and fire crews using inflatable boats.

After the announcement a Go Fund Me page was set up by friends and family hoping to raise money to be put toward's his funeral.

A statement from Alex Frumenzi’s family said: “Following the unfortunate tragedy his family and friends ask for help to be able to cover the cost of his funeral.

“Every little help has a major impact. We are thankful for everyone who has helped or been apart of this tough journey.

“The family and friends are heartbroken and traumatised to lose someone this close to our hearts but with love and support, he will always be remembered and looking over us and in our thoughts.”

The fundraising target has been set at £3,000 and within the first 24 hours of the fundraising page going live £475 had already been raised.

Floral tributes for Mr Frumenzi were left below Sabrina Bridge, on the racecourse side of the river. The tributes included a picture of a Romanian flag, with the words RIP Alessandro 2001-2019. Another written tribute says: “I cannot believe you are gone. You were the greatest and kindest person I have ever met.”

The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner.

The fundraising website can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/alexfrumenzi.

READ MORE: Man hit police car with his hand during rage on Barbourne Road