A FORMER firefighter who hit the headlines after stealing drain covers from county roads to feed a drug habit, has been back in court for dangerous driving.

Graham Leith was drunk driving when he overtook police in his Audi A3 at around 100mph on the A46 dual carriageway near Evesham.

Timothy Sapwell QC, prosecuting, said Leith pulled over and got out of his car at 9.45pm on March 10, "with a strong smell of alcohol and drugs".

READ MORE: Ex-fireman who stole drain covers is jailed

Mr Sapwell said: "At 11.02pm, so sometime after, he was tested at the station, with the lowest reading given as 47mcg in 100ml of breath, the legal limit being 35mcg."

Mr Sapwell explained police believed he was travelling at around 130mph when they followed him, but Leith had disputed the speed saying it was 30mph slower.

At the scene, a small amount of cannabis was also found by police in his car.

Mr Sapwell then highlighted Leith's previous convictions which included 34 offences including one for dangerous driving.

Among them was the prison sentence for the theft of 185 drain covers, which he sold for £10 to scrap metal merchants each but cost the taxpayer £261,500 to replace.

The three month crime spree, between November 2011 and January 2012, made national headlines, with Recorder John Steel QC saying at the time it was fortunate no one had been seriously injured by holes which suddenly appeared at the roadside.

Leith, of High Street, Studley, also lost a six year job in the fire service because of a conviction for making off without payment and stealing a number plate.

Neil Davies QC, defending, said there had been gap in offending since being released from prison in 2014.

"I hope you can accept it was a one-off," he said.

"He had an argument with a former partner, had a lot to drink, and foolishly got behind the wheel.

"Fortunately there was no accident.

"He fully accepted responsibility."

Sentencing him, Judge Jim Tindal said it was not the worst case of drink driving the courts had seen, but Leith had panicked when he saw the police and it was "more luck than judgement" that there had not been an accident.

The judge said: "There is a risk of reconviction because you do stupid things when you have had a drink.

"But you have effectively been out of trouble for five years.

"You have got a six-year-old son, parental responsibilities, and you are holding down a responsible job.

"It is appropriate to suspend sentence."

Leith was given a 12 month jail sentence - suspended for two years - 20 rehabilitation activity days, 100 hours unpaid work and was told to pay court costs of £200.

He was also disqualified from driving for two years.

Judge Tindal ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drugs.

Mr Sapwell said "thank you" to the judge as he left Worcester Crown Court yesterday.

READ MORE: Highways road markings done in 'error', say Worcestershire Country Council spokeswoman