A FORMER city restaurant owner convicted of harassing women failed to carry out the unpaid work to which he was sentenced because he didn't like being in 'unfamiliar circumstances'.

Mohammed Haque was back in court yesterday and told magistrates that his anxiety and depression meant he couldn't complete the 250 hours of unpaid work, but the court heard he'd provided no medical evidence of his mental health issues.

Haque, also known as Sam, was given a community order in January after admitting to touching a woman on the waist and bottom, as well as plaguing her with unwanted calls and messages, among other similar offences involving other victims.

The 34-year-old had originally faced sexual assault charges but these were downgraded to lesser harassment offences just before his trial, last December, and he pleaded guilty.

READ MORE: Ex-restaurant boss harassed women

Haque was back at Worcester Magistrates Court on Friday as the probation service applied to revoke a community order, on the grounds that it was unworkable due to him being unfit for work and unable to complete the unpaid work.

Michael Weston, prosecuting on behalf of the probation service, explained that Haque, the former owner of Arishana and Pasha restaurants, had attended the initial sessions of his 250 hours of unpaid work, but in May he sent a letter to the probation service to say he couldn't continue.

“On May 15 he sends a letter stating he is unfit for work, and has continued to do so ever since,” Mr Weston said.

“He stated the reason was his anxiety and depression. I’m aware he is receiving counselling. But I have been informed Mr Haque did not provide medical evidence (for which the probation service asked).

“We ask you to review the case.”

Mr Weston said he would recommend a curfew or that magistrates could consider other alternatives, “but without the medical evidence, we don’t know if they would be practical”.

Kevin Saunders, defending, said that Haque's mental health issues had meant he had struggled with the unpaid work.

“With the unpaid work he was catapulted into unfamiliar circumstances with unfamiliar people,” Mr Saunders said.

“He is not work shy, he wants to work, he is struggling with the format of unpaid work. He has received a job offer in Dubai.”

Mr Saunders said Haque had completed 11 of the 24 rehabilitation days to which he was sentenced, and was making progress to change.

“On the offences, my defendant recognises they were misogynistic in nature and were unsavoury," said Mr Saunders. "I’m not saying he should not be punished, he accepts he should be punished in a different way.”

After a short deliberation, magistrates returned to the court room and chairman of the bench, Keith Stokes-Smith, said: “Everyone who does unpaid work is thrown into unfamiliar circumstances. In my 20 years, that is not a reason not to do it. It is no excuse.”

But he said that, having completed some of the unpaid work, and with the order set to end on January 16, they were happy to now give Haque a curfew.

Haque was given a 28-day curfew to remain at his address in Friesland Close, Worcester, which is in force daily between 10pm and 6am.