A YOUNG man attacked in the early hours was still in hospital yesterday evening, but his condition remains unclear.

The 22-year-old suffered serious injuries as a result of an attack in Wyld's Lane, Worcester, between 11pm on Saturday (November 23) and 1am on Sunday (November 24).

It has not been confirmed where exactly in the road the incident took place.

Speaking yesterday, a witness said there was no police presence or any indication anything had happened at all on the road.

It runs from off A44 Sidbury up to Battenhall near The Worcester Arms, containing the Plumbers Arms as well as a couple of takeaways, a taxi firm and a driving school.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Bailey described it as a "very serious incident" but did not confirm whether police are looking for a group of culprits or a single person.

Police are still appealing for witnesses and the DCI did move to reassure residents that the constabulary is working round the clock on the case.

He said: "Whilst we acknowledge that this is a very serious incident I would like to reassure the local community that we are working hard to apprehend the offender(s) responsible for this assault.

"We have increased our patrols within the Wylds Lane area," he added.

Yesterday, a police spokesman could not confirm the condition of the victim or whether the incident was linked to an apparent window smashing supposedly on the same night in nearby Ronkswood.

That area of Worcester was initially included in a release put out by West Mercia on Sunday afternoon as the location of the attack.

Though this is understood to have been an error by the communications team and not necessarily an indication that anything related took place in Ronkswood.

Wyld's Lane runs alongside Fort Royal Park from one side, the scene of a serious sexual assault in the early hours of Sunday, September 22, in which a man in his 20s was attacked by up to five men.

A police spokesman confirmed at the time that that attack was not being linked to the Worcestershire Pride event which took place earlier that day.

The victim received several injuries, including to his head. We understand no arrests have been made in relation to that incident.

In relation to the latest attack, the spokesman said without again speaking directly to officers involved, they could not confirm whether both incidents are linked, but said they believed it was unlikely.

Anyone who may have witnessed this incident to call West Mercia Police on 101 and quote incident number 54S of November 24.