A TRUST has responded to calls for more trees to be planted against a backdrop of climate change.

Malvern Hills Trust manages biodiversity and land, with around 57 per cent of the hills and commons being designated as a Site of Specific Scientific Interest (SSSI).

A spokesperson for the Malvern Hills Trust, said: "MHT is actively managing woodland and expanding tree cover.

"However, the Malvern Hills and Commons have a limited capacity for tree planting.

"We echo the Forestry Commission in the adage: ‘the right tree in the right place.’.

"Just 5 per cent of England is covered in important open habitats, efforts toward climate change should not destroy these vital wildlife havens and ignore the remaining 95 per cent of the country where trees would bring benefit to all."

Since 1884 MHT have been dedicated to conserving the important features and special qualities of this landscape.