VILLAGERS were left without power after an electrical transformer "exploded", leaving hundreds of homes without power.

Eyewitnesses report seeing a transformer in Hanley Swan "explode" on Friday (May 29), with a large plume of smoke being seen across the village

One resident told the Malvern Gazette: "There were up to 700 homes without power and because of the dry weather, lots of homes were at risk from the fire.

"Our emergency services were fantastic with up to three fire engines, police and air ambulance."

Western Power Distribution was able to restore power to the village later on Friday evening.

Herefordshire and Worcestershire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed firefighters from Upton, Malvern and Droitwich had attended.

In a tweet, they said: "@HWFireUpton, @HWFireMalvern @HWFireDroitwich attended fire in field, caused by electricity cable, Hanley Swan.

"Hose reel jet and beaters used to extinguish fire on 50 x 30 metres of scrubland."