A 'FRUSTRATED' man damaged a car wing mirror because it was in his way when he walked through Worcester city centre.

The owner of the Ford Focus took photos of John Pugh after his car was damaged by the defendant in The Shambles in Worcester, calling after him: "Are you going to pay for that?"

Pugh of Shap Drive, Warndon, Worcester, admitted criminal damage when he appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court on Thursday after the photos were run through the police computer, enabling officers to identify him.

The 55-year-old damaged the Ford Focus on January 8 this year.

Dawn Foxall, prosecuting, said the car's owner, Jordan Gray, was driving along The Shambles when he found a vehicle blocking the way. The lorry driver told Mr Gray he was going to be about 10 minutes so parked the car and waited. Mrs Foxall said: "He noticed a man approach his vehicle and swing his arm, catching the wing mirror of the vehicle with so much force it caused it to move in."

Mr Gray asked Pugh if he would pay for the damage but the defendant walked away. Mr Gray got out of the car, took photos of the damage and of Pugh, which were circulated on the Police National Computer, enabling him to be identified.

Pugh appeared at court with a support worker. His last conviction in 2018 was also for criminal damage.

David Howarth, defending, said Pugh had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity and had 'owned up' to what had happened in interview.

He said Pugh had pleaded guilty on the basis the damage was caused recklessly rather than deliberately.

"He says he had been very down over the Christmas period and was feeling quite low on this particular day.

"Making his way through town, there was a lorry blocking one side and a car blocking the other way. In frustration he flung his arm out. He didn't think it would actually cause the damage it did as he passed."

He said Pugh had struggled with mental health issues, including bipolar disorder but was engaging well with his GP. For the last five years he has been completely clean of drugs said Mr Howarth. Magistrates handed him a conditional discharge for 12 months and ordered him to pay £250 in compensation to Mr Gray, £135 costs and a £21 victim surcharge. He already owes £3,518 to the court.