TWO years ago, a “psychotic” man bit his pregnant girlfriend’s face, forced her to lie face-down in his blood and threatened to drown her during an attack.

Kyle Hutchison stopped his ex-girlfriend, Laura Stanley, from leaving her home and then snatched her mobile phone and recorded the terrifying assault.

In her desperation to escape she threw a heavy chair at him, which cut his forehead and lip open. At this stage he became more enraged, picked up the chair and threw it back at her.

The bloody 26-year-old attacked the woman by grabbing her and threw her against the staircase, holding her by the throat.

He then pinned her to the ground so that she was lying on her front on the floor with him sat on her back.

Miss Stanley managed to free herself, but the defendant chased her, dragging her back inside the house.

He attempted to put her head in a mop bucket filled with water which tipped over in the process, which prevented him from drowning her.

Hutchison forced her arm behind her back and told her he was performing a citizen's arrest and videoed the torment on his mobile phone.

The disturbing footage was played to the court. The victim's face was seen covered in blood as she sobs and screams.

Hutchison is heard to say: "You're going to sit in my blood and realise what you've done wrong. Look at the blood!"

Miss Stanley described Hutchison's behaviour as “psychotic” and said he was “laughing and spitting blood.”

The couple had been in a relationship for eight months and had been out for a meal when they had an argument.

Miss Stanley had returned home and Hutchison then arrived, screaming at her and calling her a liar, picking up her mobile phone and throwing it across the room before putting it in his pocket.

Hutchison, from Gregory's Bank, Worcester, also tried to take a puppy he had bought for her.

He admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was sentenced at Worcester Crown Court following the attack on December 28, in 2017.

Alexander West, prosecuting, said: "He said 'let's run a bath as I'm going to kill you'."

The victim told Hutchison: "Calm down. This isn't you."

Hutchison began to cry and he allowed Miss Stanley to clean his mouth and returned her mobile phone.

She ran to the bathroom and dialled 999 but Hutchison left before police arrived.

Mr West said: "When they arrived they observed Miss Stanley with a lump on the back of her head.

"She suspected she was knocked out at one point as the defendant threw her on the floor and against the wall several times.

"She was also bitten by the defendant on her face and her right hand bore a deep bite mark.

"Miss Stanley described being scared for her life. She thought the defendant was going to kill her."

His mother supported him from the public gallery and the court heard Hutchison was of previous good character.

Sabhia Pathan, defending, said Hutchison suffered a chipped tooth and was rushed to hospital from custody before he was formally interviewed by police.

Miss Pathan said: "He's deeply regretful of the incident. He says, 'when you're in it you don't see it until you step back'."

She described him as a hard working installation engineer who worked 11 to 12 hours a day, Monday to Friday, with ambitions to become a surveyor.

"This has been a rude wake up call for Mr Hutchison. He did not know he had it in himself to react in that manner" Miss Pathan told the court.

The attack took place at Miss Stanley’s Kidderminster home.

Judge Robert Juckes QC said Hutchison had been trying to humiliate Miss Stanley. He added: "You must appreciate it was terrifying.

"There is, in the film I have seen, a strong element of hysteria in your behaviour."

The judge sentenced him to 12 months in prison, suspended for 18 months and ordered him to pay £1,000 compensation to Miss Stanley and £1,000 costs.

Hutchison was also placed on a community order for 18 months which included 20 rehabilitation activity days and 100 hours unpaid work.

A restraining order was made for a period of five years to prevent Hutchison contacting Miss Stanley.