THESE brutal killings rocked Worcestershire when they happened and still remain unsolved to this day.

From the Commandery Road killing to the tragic murder of a pregnant woman, these gruesome cases have gone cold and police haven’t turned up any new witnesses since they were first committed.

Here are three unsolved murders in Worcestershire:

Patrick Mulligan in ‘The Commandery Road Killing’

22-year-old Patrick had his whole life ahead of him.

However, the Irish labourer’s life was taken back in 1961- his killer has still never been caught.

The lead story of the evening news spoke of how “a trail of blood” led from bath road toilets to a place in Sidbury road where Mulligan lay dying of a stab wound to the chest.

Worcester News: The toilets where the murder took placeThe toilets where the murder took place

Passers by assumed he was drunk unaware that he was was slowly bleeding to death.

He was rushed to Worcester Royal Infirmary but he died before he could regain consciousness.

Police immediately launched an investigation- within hours, three young Birmingham men were arrested and charged- but Mr D. Prys Jones later withdrew the murder charges against the men who were released.

Police tried everything to search for the murder weapon which they presumed was a “long blade”.

Local firemen even drained the Worcester canal, but failed to find the weapon among the debris.

A 39-year-old homeless person was put on trial in May of that year, as he was thought to have been on the streets at the time of the crime.

However, his solicitor maintained that he was “completely innocent” and not in Worcester at the time of the murder.

He also did not match the description police were looking for which was a 50-year-old man at least 6ft tall.

Police also had little forensic evidence to work with and nothing on the 39-year-old’s person could connect him to the attack.

He was acquitted for the murder and to this day, no new leads have surfaced.

Marie Wilks

Worcester News: Marie WilksMarie Wilks

This tragic murder involves a pregnant 22-year-old woman from Worcester.

In 1988, Marie was driving down the M50 motorway when her car broke down.

Leaving her 13-month-old son and 11-year-old sister in the vehicle, she walked a short way down the hard shoulder to call for help on the telephone.

Sadly, she would never return to the children in the car.

Two days later, her body was found at the bottom of an M50 embankment near Tewkesbury- three miles from the emergency phone.

The post mortem revealed she bled to death after being stabbed in the neck and she also suffered a broken jaw and facial bruising.

A nightclub bouncer matched the artist’s impression of the suspect and he received a life sentence for her murder.

He spent five and a half years of his sentence in prison but was later acquitted in 1994- he received a £600,000 payout for his wrongful imprisonment.

Sadly, this case remains open and unsolved- will we ever know who murdered Ms Wilks?

Florrie Porter

Bromsgrove woman, Florrie Porter, was just 33-years-old when her life was taken from her.

She lived in Lickey End with her mother and worked in the wages department of Austin Motor Company at Longbridge.

In her spare time, she enjoyed nothing more than listening to music and she even played in a jazz band.

On October 26 1944, Florrie walked into the centre of Bromsgrove to meet an American officer called Hal.

Witnesses said they saw the pair in the smoke room of George’s Hotel which they vacated at around 9:50pm.

At around 10:10, Florrie’s neighbour saw them walking- this was the last time she was seen alive.

The next morning, her body was spotted beneathe a veranda at Lickey End Village by two young boys who were cycling past.

She had been brutally stabbed to death which had penetrated her chest and neck.

Pathologists rules that Florrie hit the back of her head when she fell so probably would have been unconscious when the stabbing took place.

The main suspect in the case was the American officer but he was never found- and neither was the murder weapon.

Rumours circulated that the American Army knew the police were looking for Hal so transferred him out of the area.

However, West Mercia Police re-opened the file and released a statement that there was no evidence of anyone being “spirited away” to avoid detection.