POLICE cordoned off a Worcester street after a hazardous chemical leak from a swimming pool at King’s St Alban’s.

All the emergency services and the environment agency attended Mill Street in Diglis on Thursday night to sort out the leak.

The Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue station commander told the Worcester News the material was chlorine thought to have accidentally spilled from the pool inside King’s school.

He said: “There has been an accidental release of chlorine from the swimming pool area of the King’s school.

“Three fire engines and two environmental agency workers attended the scene along with ambulances and police.

“We put together a plan of action to disperse the gas and remained at the scene until the gas was dispersed.

“Residents were advised to close windows and doors as chlorine is a nasty chemical and can cause irritation to the skin and eyes. Investigations into the cause of the leak are ongoing, however it is thought to be an accidental spillage at this time.”

Headteacher of the King’s Foundation, Gareth Doodes, added: “We had a suspected chemical spill contained within the plant room at our swimming pool.

“As a precautionary measure we have followed our procedures and contacted the emergency services, who are dealing with the leak.

“We are very grateful to them for the speed and efficiency they’ve shown in addressing the matter.

“After tireless work by the emergency services, and a specialised unit of the Hereford and Worcester Fire Services, the plant room was handed back to the school at midnight with the chemicals dispersed.

“We recognise that the situation caused disruption and possibly disturbed sleep for local residents, for which we’re very sorry, but their safety was our top priority and we are grateful for their perseverance.

“The school will be able to open fully this morning (Friday November 20) and specialist teams will come in to ensure that the plant room and the pool is deep cleaned. We can’t thank the emergency services enough - they’ve been superb.”

A 50 metre cordon was put in place by police overnight to protect the public and allow firemen to disperse the gas.