A FATHER and son embraced in the dock after both were cleared of attempted murder following a 'ferocious' stabbing in Bromsgrove.

Connor Kendall and his father Mark Kendall both stand convicted of wounding following the attack on Dayle Warman and will now be assessed to see whether they pose a danger to the public.

The 22-year-old and his 37-year-old dad, previously of Breakback Road, Bromsgrove, were both unanimously cleared of attempted murder at Worcester Crown Court this afternoon, resulting in gasps of relief from family in the public gallery.

Connor Kendall had already admitted wounding with intent and possession of the knife used in the stabbing in Bromsgrove.

His dad, who had denied both offences, was convicted by the jury of eight men and four women of both wounding with intent and possession of the knife used in the stabbing on December 1 last year.

During the trial the jury watched dashcam footage from Mark Kendall's transit van on the night of the attack during which Connor Kendall, armed with a knife, could be heard shouting and swearing before he stabbed Mr Warman four times to the front of his chest, causing a collapsed lung.

Mr Warman also suffered a cut to his arm and a wound to the abdomen during the stabbing.

The 'revenge attack' was said by the defence to have been provoked by Warman attacking Connor Kendall's younger brother, 20, with a rolling pin earlier that evening after mistaking him for Connor. Warman already stood convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm following that attack.

Addressing the jury, Judge Nicolas Cartwright said pre-sentence reports should be prepared by the probation service before both men were sentenced.

"I will have to perform one function which is to decide whether either of them are dangerous as defined in the law. That definition can be paraphrased in this way - do they pose a serious risk of serious harm to members of the public whether in a small group or a large group?"

During the trial the judge said he had learned of Connor Kendall's 'temper' and 'volatile character' and would like the probation service to interview him and produce a report before he is sentenced.

Robert Tolhurst, for Mark Kendall, accepted that the wounding offence of which his client now stood convicted was one of 'extreme gravity'.

However, he requested bail for his client who had attended court every day for a trial in which he faced a more serious charge than the wounding of which he now stands convicted.

He also said the family was now living outside the area. Mark Kendall was asked if he had a passport and said he did but that it was out of date.

Judge Cartwright granted Mark Kendall bail on condition he co-operates with the probation service in the preparation of a pre-sentence report and surrenders his passport within 24 hours and does not apply for any travel documents.

The defendant was also placed on an electronically monitored curfew at his home address which will run daily between 8pm and 7am. Connor Kendall was remanded in custody.

Connor Kendall lowered his head and his father put his arm around him where they sat side-by-side in the dock. Later, before Mark Kendall left the dock on bail, the two men hugged and someone shouted 'love you' from the public gallery as Connor Kendall was escorted downstairs by dock officers.

The case was adjourned for a sentencing hearing due to take place on January 8 next year.

Judge Cartwright said of Mark Kendall: "He knows he won't be leaving by the public entrance on January 8."