PARENTS and residents have rallied round to raise thousands for a school hit by fire.

Thousands have been raised for St Joseph’s Primary School which was hit by the fire in the early hours of Monday.

A Go Fund Me page, set up by parents, has raised £2,388smashing an initial £1,000 target. The fundraisers said: “Us, as parents of children in pre-school, reception and year one wanted to start this fundraiser, to help the school raise funds for the toys, books and stationery that may have been damaged in the fire.” The fundraiser can be found at

READ MORE: 30 firefighters tackle 'devastating' fire at Droitwich school

Herefordshire and Worcestershire Fire Service were called to the school at 1.45am and used water jets and compressed air foam to extinguish the flames, staying at the scene throughout Monday to ensure it did not relight.

Headteacher of the St Joseph’s Close-based school Cath Bryan described the blaze as ‘devastating’ but said she is ‘thankful no-one was hurt.’

And in a statement on the school’s website she said: “The school is closed until further notice. We are working hard to provide an alternative location for our critical workers and vulnerable students. Thank you for all of the lovely messages received and offers of kindnessat this devastating time. We look forward to rebuilding our fantastic and much loved school.”

At Droitwich Town Council’s meeting on Monday Councillor Jennifer Chaudry said, after speaking to the firemen at the scene, the understanding was the fire had been caused by an electrical issue.

“Luckily nobody was there when it happened but they seemed to think if somebody had been, it probably would not have been as bad as it was,” Cllr Chaudry said.

It is just one part of the building, the building closest to the Westacre Middle School. That is now pretty much condemned, it is pretty much gone. But they have said good cleaning of the classrooms next to it, and the rest of the school could be open, hopefully within a few days “

Councillor Richard Morris said: “I’m in contact with the business manager there and through children’s first. The result is three classrooms have been effectively decimated. The school is going through enough, so this is devastating for the St Joseph community.”