A MAN and woman arrested following the death of a nine-year-old boy in Droitwich remained in police custody last night.

Flowers and tributes have been left for the boy, who has been named locally as Alfie Scott.

Police and two air ambulances rushed to the semi-detached home in Vashon Drive, Copcut, at around 3pm on Thursday afternoon.

The boy was found in a critical condition and was flown to hospital but, sadly, did not survive.

Police yesterday released a statement that said a 39-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of murder, while a 33-year-old woman had been arrested on suspected child neglect.

Neither have been named by police, and they remain in police custody.

The police have said the boy’s next of kin has been informed of his death but formal identification has not yet taken place.

Police have also stressed that, following speculation locally, no stab wounds were found on the boy.

Detective Inspector Ed Slough said: “This is a tragic incident that has seen a young boy lose his life and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this awful time.

“We are currently treating the boy’s death as unexplained and are carrying out enquiries to establish the circumstances.

“We are aware of comments in the media and social media relating this to a stabbing, we would like to clear this up and say there were not stab wounds found on the young boy.

“The death of a child this age can have a huge impact on his family and his friends.

“We are supporting his family with specially trained officers, and if any of his friends or young people in the area are affected by this unfortunate death, please seek out support from specialist child bereavement charities such as childbereavementuk.org.”

Neighbours to the property said the boy was called Alfie and attended Witton Middle School.

A resident said: “All the kids were lovely and Alfie was very well mannered and polite.

“It’s absolutely horrific what has happened to him. His grandparents live nearby and will be devastated.

“I understand Alfie was a massive Arsenal fan like his granddad.”

Another neighbour said: “It’s just so sad what has happened.

“We last saw the little boy, Alfie, two days ago. He was playing on his bike and there’s a little ramp by his drive that he was riding over.”

Forensics officers were seen in the area on Thursday night but there appeared to be a smaller police presence in the street yesterday afternoon.

Floral tributes were also starting to grow outside the property throughout the day yesterday.