A DRUNK driver who crashed into a hedge after a police pursuit in Kempsey has been fined and given a driving ban.

Callum Morris initially stopped his BMW but, as he was being approached by an officer, he sped off instigating a chase.

The 27-year-old, of Bestmans Lane, Kempsey, admitted driving when his alcohol level was above the limit, failing to stop when directed to by a police officer, and driving without due care and attention when he appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court yesterday.

Shafquat Reaz, prosecuting, said police on patrol on the A38 just after midnight on April 14 had their attention drawn to the tyres of the BMW, and while observing the vehicle noticed Morris’ driving was erratic.

Mr Reaz said police put on blue lights and indicated for him to pull over, which he shortly did. The prosecutor said as PC Hunt approached him he then pulled away with police in pursuit.

Mr Reaz said the chase came to an end after Morris failed to negotiate a bend, crashing into a hedge. After being arrested Morris failed to give a breathalyser test but after being taken to Worcester Police Station he gave a sample that showed he had 74 mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg.

Jo Outhwaite, defending, said as her client was a single man and had lived alone and isolated during lockdown, he took the opportunity to go to the pub to socialise at an early opportunity of them reopening - but got carried away. He didn’t feel like he was not in control but he has to concede four pints, it was going to take him over the limit,” Ms Outhwaite said.

She said he had stopped for police but the fear of losing his job as a HGV mechanic had made him make the mistake of trying to get away from police.

“This was a horrible error on his part, and not something that would be repeated,” Ms Outwaite added. After deliberations magistrates told Morris that he would be feeling the repercussions of what he did for some time, adding he could face a custodial sentence if there was a repeat.

For driving with excess alcohol Morris was fined £1,250, for failing to stop he was fined £333 and for driving without due care and attention he was fined £333. Magistrates also ordered him to pay costs of £135, and a victim surcharge of £117. He was disqualified from driving for 20 months, which will be reduced if he successful completes a drink drive awareness course.