A FIRE at a Malvern supermarket forced it to be evacuated.

Engines from Hereford and Worcester Fire Service were spotted at the Morrisons branch in Roman Way following a fire inside the store that started in a chiller cabinet.

Shoppers and staff were evacuated while firefighters tackled the blaze.

One shopper said they believed it was a malfunctioning freezer unit.

They said: "I just walked past - the fire brigade were there talking about an electrical fire to do with freezers.

"I would expect the store will remain closed until it is deemed safe, which could be a while.

"The situation looks to be well under control though and handled very well by the staff."

A spokesman for the fire service confirmed they were called out shortly before 10am and that staff and shoppers had been evacuated by the time they arrived.

They said: "HWFRS received a call at 9.53am to reports of a chiller cabinet fire at Morrison’s in Malvern.

"The supermarket had been evacuated by the time crews arrived."

At around midday, a Morrisons spokesman confirmed the store and attached petrol station were back open.

They said: "Following a brief evacuation, the now is now back open.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused."