FIREFIGHTERS have asked the public to show them respect after being called to a crash in Herefordshire which left two dead.

Kington Fire Station said it was sent out to the "very traumatic and sad incident" on the A44 bypass where there had been a crash between a car and motorbike.

Emergency services were called to Floodgates just before 11am on Tuesday, but a man and a woman, both pedestrians, died at the scene.

READ MORE: Two pedestrians killed in crash with motorbike in Herefordshire

A third patient, a man, was airlifted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham with potentially serious injuries, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

The Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service firefighters said the pedestrians' dog was also killed, and they sent their thoughts and condolences to the family.


But they said they wanted crew members, who are retained and not full-time members of staff, to be treated with respect and left alone to deal with the tragic incident.

The fire service said retained crews work and/or live in their local communities and respond to emergency calls whenever they are needed, as was the case in Kington on Tuesday.

Training sessions are held weekly for retained, otherwise known as on-call, crews.

"Yesterday we were sent to a very traumatic and sad incident on Kington bypass where, despite our very best efforts, two lives were lost in an road traffic collision, plus that of their pet dog," they said.

"Our thoughts and condolences go out to the families and friends of all involved, and we hope for a full recovery for the third casualty.

"We would like to politely request that our crew members are also treated with some respect and we are left alone to deal with this, we appreciate local support but not digging for information.

"We all do a very difficult job on times, alongside our day jobs and family life and it takes time heal our own emotional wounds, most of which will forever leave scars."


A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “Ambulance crews arrived on scene to find three patients, two pedestrians and a motorcyclist.

“The pedestrians, a man and a woman, were both found in critical conditions and ambulance staff immediately began administering advanced life support.

“However, despite their best efforts it sadly became apparent nothing could be done to save either patient and they were confirmed dead at the scene.

“The motorcyclist, a man, was treated for potentially serious injuries before being airlifted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham.”

The road remained closed for much of Tuesday as investigation work was carried out by police.