THE family of a much-loved dad who died when his car was hit by a police officer driving at 110mph have paid tribute to him.

David Shaw had popped out to fill up the family car when his Ford Fiesta was hit by PC Jamie Holloway on the A449 between Kidderminster and Worcester.

His family released a picture of him and paid an emotional tribute to him. 

They said: "On bank holiday Monday, May 28, 2018, David Shaw left home for a short drive to fill the car with petrol for a family trip.

“David never returned home.

“David was a loving husband who was devoted to his family and a professional in his industry for over three decades, respected by clients and colleagues alike.

“The family have been devastated by this incident and have waited three long years to understand the full details of the case and for justice to be served.

“David’s loss of life needs to make a difference, and the family hopes that all actions will be taken to avoid this type of horrific and unnecessary incident happening in the future."

The statement was issued after PC Holloway's conviction at Worcester Crown Court.

Police officer sentenced after man's death

Former soldier Holloway, who had 19 years’ service in the police, was cleared by jury of causing death by dangerous driving but was convicted by a majority verdict of causing death by careless driving.

Passing sentence on Thursday, Judge Nicolas Cartwright told the former officer that no sentence could alter the “enormous” loss caused to Mr Shaw’s widow, sister and three sons.

The trial was told that Mr Shaw had been in a queue of traffic travelling at 37mph, and was signalling and moving to turn right as he was struck by Holloway’s unmarked BMW X5, which had its lights and sirens on in a 50mph zone.

Mr Shaw, aged 53, died in hospital two weeks after the crash.

Although the judge ruled that Holloway’s speed had been far too high, he accepted that he was driving in response to a genuine emergency.

Holloway was handed an eight month prison sentence suspended for two years, as well as a 12 month driving ban and must pay costs in excess of £2,000.

He has since resigned from West Mercia Police.

Mr Shaw's family said they hoped the crash would be used as a case study for police officers across forces whose roles may involve high-speeds.