A DRUNK couple had a noisy row with a neighbour which ended with the man being brought to the floor twice - once by his neighbour and the second time by a police officer.

Tristan Robinson and his partner Charlene Hughes both appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court following the noise dispute with a neighbour in Broadway which came to a head with a damaged door and a police officer being kicked in the back, the defendant claiming the officer had shone a torch in his eyes.

Robinson, 48, of Mill Street, Broadway admitted assaulting an emergency worker (PC Easterbee) and criminal damage to the door of his neighbour, Gareth Crocker, on February 20 this year.

Hughes 32, of Wells Gardens, Broadway, admitted a section four public order offence and an assault upon an emergency worker which arose out of the same incident.

The officer said in a statement that Robinson kicked him in the back and that, had he not been wearing body armour, he was sure he would have sustained some injury.

Ralph Robyns-Landricombe, prosecuting, said Robinson told officers he and Hughes had been drinking in his flat and that Mr Crocker had come around to make a complaint about the noise, claiming the injured party had 'squared up to him' and that he had been brought to the ground by him. In his interview Robinson, who has 33 previous convictions, denied threatening anyone 'but did state he was intoxicated at the time'.

Robinson went around to Mr Crocker's address after the original complaint, causing £1,521 of damage which included damage to the lock, the external frame and the cracking of the concrete which ran parallel to the door. The door had to be replaced in its entirety.

Mr Crocker also installed doorbell CCTV at a cost of £100 'as he no longer feels safe', the prosecutor said, describing the criminal damage to the door as 'a revenge attack'.

The Crown also made an application for a restraining order and applied for compensation for PC Easterbee for 'the kicking he had to endure' though no injuries were reported and a restraining order in relation to Mr Robinson having contact with his neighbour.

Judith Kenney, for Robinson, said her client told her that Mr Crocker attended to complain about the noise while the family was having pizza and that Charlene Hughes was not singing - the noise came from the television.

Mrs Kenney said: "He didn't think the complaint was justified and couldn't in fact get a word in edgeways."

However, she accepted that Robinson then went around to Mr Crocker's address to put across his point of view about the situation.

"His view is he was pushed to the ground by Mr Crocker. He was angry about that and kicked the door. I don't accept - and he doesn't accept - it was a revenge attack. It was very spontaneous."

She also said Robinson had 'some injuries' and had blood on him. Of the attack on the officer Mrs Kenney said: "He said he (the officer) was immediately in my face and shone a torch right in his eyes which hurt him and told him to 'get the torch out of his face'.

"Within moments he was put to the ground and told by the officer he was going to be arrested for threats to kill" said Mrs Kenney. She said Robinson had 'panicked' during his arrest.

"He thought he was treated very harshly by the officer" said Mrs Kenney. The solicitor said Robinson had told her: "I resisted the officer - I never got a chance to tell him my side of the story."

Magistrates fined him £120 for the assault on the emergency worker and £120 for the criminal damage. He was ordered to pay compensation of £100 to the officer and compensation to Mr Crocker of £1,521 for the damaged door but nothing for the doorbell CCTV Mr Crocker installed as magistrates said 'that was his choice'.

Robinson was also ordered to pay costs of £185 and a victim surcharge of £34. No restraining order was made because of the practicalities of the two men living next door to each other.

Charlene Hughes was handed a conditional discharge and ordered to pay £50 compensation to Mr Crocker, £100 to Julieanna Barker and £50 to Sophie King who were present during the disturbance.

She was further ordered to pay £185 costs and a £22 victim surcharge.