A DRUNK man on a vodka and cocktail binge who threw a pub table at a bike rack on a busy night out accepted he could have hurt someone.

Connor Loach was given a dispersal notice ordering him to leave the Cornmarket in Worcester city centre after police received reports of disorder.

However, the 25-year-old, who has a care of address of St Paul's Hostel, decided to return to the city centre where he threw the table from outside the Slug and Lettuce in The Cross at the bike shed opposite.

He appeared before magistrates in Worcester on Thursday where he admitted using threatening or abusive words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress (a section 5 public order offence) during the incident on September 11 this year.

Ralph Robyns-Landricombe, prosecuting, said Loach was initially arrested for another matter and handed a dispersal notice and was later spotted near St Martin's Gate car park, walking in the direction of Tallow Hill where the hostel is.

However, he later returned to Worcester city centre. Mr Robyns-Landricombe said: "Officers had been standing on The Cross where they heard shouting and turned around to see Loach grab a table from the outdoor area of the Slug and Lettuce and throw it over his head towards the bike racks."

Loach was arrested and taken to Worcester Police Station in Castle Street, explaining to officers he had been drinking double vodkas and cocktails, describing himself as being 'seven out of 10' on a scale of drunkenness.

He accepted he understood what the dispersal notice was but said 'he was 25 and wanted to enjoy the night' and could not remember what had made him angry and his 'temper got the better of him' when he threw the table.

"He didn't intend to hurt anyone but did intend to throw a table at the bike shed. It was not acceptable behaviour and he was ashamed of it. He was aware this could have hurt someone" said the prosecutor.

Loach, who represented himself at the hearing, said: "I'm really sorry. It was a stupid thing of me to do. It won't happen again. I'm trying my best to keep on the straight and narrow and get back into work."

Magistrates handed him a conditional discharge for 12 months and ordered him to pay a contribution to costs of £135 and a victim surcharge of £22 which will be deducted from his Universal Credit.