A serving West Mercia police officer has admitted assaulting a fellow police office in Worcester after a night out.

David Oliver formerly of Romney Way, Worcester, admitted assaulting PC Michael Porter after a disturbance in the city's Velvet Lounge.

Drug risk death of beggar at Worcester races

The 25-year-old, now of Pershore, appeared at Cheltenham Magistrates Court on Friday where he pleaded guilty to assaulting the officer while he was 'acting in the exercise of his functions as an emergency worker' on October 29 this year.

Drugs conspirator got 'missus' to run errands

However, Pc Oliver denied a public order charge of using threatening words and behaviour with the intent to cause fear of provoking unlawful violence to the emergency worker on the same occasion.

Prosecutor May Li explained that Oliver and a woman friend were on a night out in Worcester city centre on October 28 and were joined by a number of colleagues and visited a number of bars.

“Towards the end of the evening they were in the Velvet Lounge. Oliver was then involved in an incident outside the venue and he began pulling at his partner’s hair while shouting at her.

"The door staff then took hold of him during which there was a struggle with Oliver allegedly punching out at the door staff.

“The police were called and Oliver assaults PC Porter while he was being arrested for the public ordered offence.”

Harpreet Sandhu, defending, said that Oliver denies using threatening words during the incident in which he suffered a number of injuries that required hospital treatment.

He suggested that the public order offence should be reviewed by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Mr Sandhu added: “Whatever decision is made there are irrevocable ramifications for his career over this incident.”

District Judge Joanna Dickens agreed that the case should be reviewed and stated that Oliver would be sentenced for the assault once the public order case had been resolved by it being withdrawn or by a trial.

Oliver was released on unconditional bail to return to the court on December 9 for a pre-trial preparation hearing.