A MAN was rescued by firefighters from debris floating on the ice-cold waters of the river Severn last night (Tuesday).

The man was found on top of an island of debris trapped against Worcester Bridge near North Quay after last month's floods.

Two men were taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital - the man who fell into the river and a second who suffered a medical episode near the bridge. 

Emergency services were called to reports of a concern for safety at just after 9pm.

Read more: Worcester Bridge closed and emergency services in attendance

Worcester Bridge was closed to traffic as they worked to rescue the man.

Overnight temperatures plummeted to 0C as the man clung to the debris while rescue boats were sent to retrieve him.

Firefighters managed to get him to safety where he was treated by paramedics and taken to hospital by ambulance.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said the man sustained injuries which were not thought to be life-threatening.

A spokeswoman said: “We were called at 9.16pm to reports of an incident in the water near Grandstand Road, Worcester.

"On arrival, we found a man who had been extricated from the water, he had sustained injuries not considered to be life-threatening and was taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital for further assessment.

"A second patient, who suffered a medical episode at the same location, was also assessed and conveyed to Worcester Royal Hospital for further assessment."

Two ambulances, a paramedic officer and the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) were sent to the scene. 

An eyewitness said: "All emergency services were on the bridge (I was in traffic near Bridge Street).

"I don’t know what is happening but four police cars, fire engine, and an ambulance arrived quickly on the scene.

The fire brigade incident command unit passed me in St Johns."

Another driver said: We were turned away initially at the bridge this evening but it reopened soon after.

"My son thought he saw someone receiving treatment on the Premier Inn side after we got to drive over.

"There was a large amount of emergency vehicles."

Fire crews from Droitwich, Worcester and Evesham were sent to the bridge at 9.13pm which reopened at just after 11pm.

A Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Crews were deployed to a rescue from water at Worcester Bridge.

"A male casualty, upstream of the bridge and in debris in the water, was rescued by fire service personnel and handed over to the care of paramedics.

"Police also attended.

"The incident was marked as pending closure at 10.27pm."

A West Mercia Police spokeswoman said: "Officers were called to Bridge Street in Worcester at around 9.10pm last night (January 11) following reports of a concern for safety.

"Upon arrival, a man was located in the river and rescued by the fire service.

"He was then taken to hospital by ambulance.

"The road was closed for a short time while the rescue took place."