A HOMELESS man's belongings were believed to have been set alight in the stairwell of a city centre car park.

The man's belongings were set alight by other people and included bedding and electrics, the Worcester News understands.

The fire in the stairwell of Asda multi-storey car park in Phesant Street broke out on Saturday afternoon (January 8) just after 4pm.

Fire engines, police and ambulance staff were called to the blaze which caused the road to close.

An Asda spokesman said: “We would like to thank our colleagues and the Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service for their swift response to a small fire in the multi-storey car park attached to our Worcester store on Saturday evening.

"We would also like to reassure anybody who uses the car park that we have employed extra colleagues to work in and monitor the entire car park, and we are working with council services to try and deter similar events from happening in the future.’’

Some minor damage was caused to the stairwell and the fire alarms in the stairwell were damaged.

The fire alarms were replaced yesterday (Wednesday).

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the items involved in the fire were bedding, combustible materials and electrics.

A spokesman said: "Three Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crews from Worcester Fire Station were called to a multi-storey car park in Pheasant Street, Worcester at 4.04pm on Saturday, January 8.


@mainworcesterfireservice @emergency_services_uk #fire #scania ♬ Pompeii (But If You Close Your Eyes) - When Thieves Run & Various Artists

"Crews discovered a fire in a stairwell which was extinguished by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a hosereel jet.

"Positive pressure ventilation was also used and the incident was marked stop at 6.10pm."

People living near to Asda were sent a message from Severn Trent Water warning of issues while the incident was ongoing.

The text message read: "We're aware that the fire service are currently in your area and this is causing your water to be at a lower than usual pressure, or even appearing slightly discoloured.

"This is nothing to worry about and once the fire service has finished your water will gradually clear and go back to normal.

"This can sometimes take up to 24 hours."