A TAXI driver who was racially attacked in Worcester last week has spoken about his shocking ordeal.

Two men subjected the driver to a racially-motivated attack while he was sitting at a taxi rank in the city in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30.

The attack continued even while he was on the phone to the police with the men repeatedly kicking his car which was parked in the taxi rank in The Cross, Worcester.

“I was sitting in my car at the rank, when I see these two guys come up to the first car and get turned away,” the driver said.

“They go to the second car, swearing loudly, and I can hear them asking to go towards the Ronkswood area.

“Then they come to me in the third car.

"They are still swearing at the first and second cars and being very rude so I told them ‘no, my friend’.

“They started swearing at me and I repeated that I wouldn’t take them. They went away but came back, kicking my car and swearing at me again.”

The taxi driver, who is originally from Pakistan but has been living in Worcester for a number of years, says this is the first time he’s experienced something like this.

He said he is used to dealing with drunk passengers but that this was something totally different.

“I called the police and while I was on the phone, they could hear what [the men] were saying.

“The second car had gone by now, I think he was scared or something. They just kept kicking and swearing, saying they wanted to fight me. It was very shocking.

“I didn’t carry on working after that - I went straight home. It was very scary.”

Man arrested for alleged hate crime

West Mercia Police confirmed that a 21-year-old man had been arrested following a report of anti-social behaviour at The Cross in Worcester.

Officers found a taxi had been attacked and the driver subjected to an aggressive verbal assault which police believe was racially motivated.

A spokesperson said the incident was being treated as a hate crime and that a police officer was also assaulted.

The man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, racially aggravated harassment and assaulting a police officer.

He has been released under investigation while enquiries continue.