Police are hunting a motorist who fled the scene of a head-on car crash which left a man seriously hurt.

A seriously injured man had to be cut from a car following the crash on Abbey Road at 6.55am on Monday (May 9).

And a woman has been arrested on suspicion of perverting the cause of justice.

Police blocked off the road and the force helicopter was in the skies above the town after the horror crash.

Police said a green Ford Kuga was travelling in the direction of Welland and a grey Ford Fiesta was travelling towards Malvern when they collided head-on.

The driver of the Ford Kuga fled the scene on foot and the road was closed for hours while police searched the area.

The man is described as a white male, aged late 20s to early 30s, medium build and wearing shorts and a beige t-shirt.

Worcester News: Abbey Road in Malvern has been closed since early this morningAbbey Road in Malvern has been closed since early this morning

The driver of the Ford Fiesta, a 42-year-old man, suffered serious injuries and was transported to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham by ambulance.

A 28-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice in relation to the incident.

The road was reopened at just after 3.30pm after being closed for about eight hours.

Officers would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and may have witnessed the collision or have dash-cam footage of it. They would also like to hear from anyone who may have seen the man fleeing the scene or know of his whereabouts.

LATEST: Live updates as road closed after Malvern crash

Anyone with information or footage is asked to visit https://www.westmercia.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/ quoting reference 56i of 9 May. Anyone with information on the current whereabouts of the driver of the Ford Kuga is asked to call 999.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called to reports of a two-car RTC at the junction of Abbey Road and Wells Road at 6.47am.

"Two ambulances, a paramedic officer, a MERIT trauma doctor and a BASICS doctor attended the scene.

"On arrival we discovered one male patient, who had to be cut free from one of the cars. He was found to have suffered serious injuries in the collision and received specialist trauma care at the scene before being transported to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham."