A TEENAGER who spat at a man and his mum before punching his victim while holding a machete has appeared in court again for driving offences.

Oliver Brighton of Stalls Farm, Droitwich admitted taking a vehicle without the owner's consent, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance when he appeared before magistrates in Worcester on Thursday.


Little girl's face mauled by dangerous dog

Pigeon saved from gull by kind-hearted prison officers

The 19-year-old, who has previously said he wants to move to Worcester, was stopped behind the wheel of a Seat Ibiza in Droitwich on November 4 last year. The case had to be adjourned for lack of court time until May 24.

Despite being subject to a suspended sentence for punching a man while holding a machete, Brighton is not technically in breach as the motoring offences he admitted pre-date the imposition of that sentence, imposed at the city's crown court last month.

We previously reported how the 19-year-old admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and possession of a bladed article in a public place.

Judge James Burbidge QC, who handed Brighton a suspended sentence, made it clear he would have ordered Brighton's immediate detention for two years had he known about these offences when he sentenced him for another matter in February last year.

Brighton was handed a 30 month community order by the same judge after he admitted possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage.

However, because of work Brighton had since completed with the probation service and because he has remained out of trouble, the judge argued that he could be rehabilitated but ordered any breaches of this suspended sentence order to be reserved to himself.

Simon Hunka, prosecuting, said the incident happened in Evesham when the victim was walking through Evesham town centre with his mum in the early hours of September 4, 2020.

Brighton spat at them out of an upstairs window, prompting the victim's mum, who attended court, to tell him in 'modest' terms: "Don't spit."

Brighton responded: "It didn't hit you!"

The defendant, who was 'slurring his words', then made physical threats to her son before a group of four approached the victim and his mum.

The male victim was punched 'all of a sudden' to the right hand side of his face, 'the punches coming from behind'.

Other males did not take part in the assault itself but held the victim by the upper arms so he could not get away.

Mr Hunka said: "He (Brighton) then produced either a knife or a machete. It was certainly an implement with a blade that was long, around 10 inches."

While holding the blade he struck the victim to the same part of the face. "This punch seemed to have a different quality" said Mr Hunka.

However, he accepted it was not known what the victim had been struck with. The blow caused a broken tooth at the front which required dental treatment.

Judge Burbidge sentenced Brighton to 20 months in prison suspended for 18 months. He was ordered to pay compensation to his victim of £250.