Droitwich residents have once again called for changes to a controversial road junction following a serious crash.

A cyclist was taken to hospital with potentially serious injuries following a crash on the A38 near the Copcut junction at about 11am yesterday (Tuesday, August 2).

The road was closed for several hours while police investigations took place.

And while the cause of the crash is still to be determined, residents say the junction has been an “accident waiting to happen” since the road layout was changed last year.

READ MORE: Cyclist taken to hospital with potentially serious injuries after A38 Copcut crash

A resident commenting on the Spotted Droitwich Facebook page said: “Anyone who lives in the area knows it was only a matter of time before somebody was hurt. Cars travel along that road at speed and think it’s two straight lanes ahead.

“This has been an accident waiting to happen.”

Another resident said: “It shouldn’t be a merge-in-road. Everyone tries to race past in the left-hand lane only to find they can’t jump in before the road goes back into a single lane. Seen far too many near-misses here.”

Council review into Copcut junction

Copcut junction was the subject of a county council review in 2021 following two major crashes, with many citing works carried out in September 2020 as a partial cause.

Although the investigation found the previous layout wasn’t at fault, the council still decided to alter the junction.

The northbound A38 became a single lane with an extended right turn into Pulley Lane. The southbound side retained two lanes with a slightly longer merge length.

READ MORE: Fresh concerns raised over the new layout of controversial Copcut junction

Councillor Tony Miller, who represents the area on Wychavon District Council, said: “I’ve never liked the junction and I don’t like the fact it is used as a drag strip towards Worcester.

“I think it should return to being a single lane - I’m not a highways expert but that’s my opinion as a road user.”

Following yesterday’s crash, West Midlands Ambulance Service said a woman had been taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham after receiving treatment for “potentially serious injuries”.