A DANGEROUS driver who overtook in a BMW at 80mph before being launched into the air and landing in the middle of a roundabout has narrowly avoided jail. 

'Crazed' driver Benjamin Ford also refused to take a breathalyser test at the roadside or at the police station, telling the officers he didn't have to.

The 44-year-old, of Droitwich, admitted dangerous driving and failing to provide a specimen for analysis when he appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court on Thursday, (December 1). 

Worcester News: AVOIDS JAIL: Benjamin Ford walking out of Worcester Magistrates CourtAVOIDS JAIL: Benjamin Ford walking out of Worcester Magistrates Court (Image: Sam Greenway/Newsquest)

Eleanor Peart, prosecuting, said police were called to reports of a crash at 6am on October 8 this year. 

Police spoke with a driver who said a 'crazed' Ford had been tailgating him, before overtaking at speed and launching 50 feet in the area, before landing in the middle of a roundabout in Roman Way, Droitwich. 

READ MORE: Complaints 'dangerous' mud is being spread on busy road by new development

READ MORE: Car drove off after crashing into wall

Miss Peart said: "He (told police) the driver had ran off from the scene. 

"He was behaving in an incoherent manner. 

Worcester News: COURT: Benjamin Ford appeared at Worcester Magistrates CourtCOURT: Benjamin Ford appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court

"He was asked to provide a breathalyser sample - he said he didn't have to.

"He was asked multiple times.

"There were no medical reasons for refusal."

Gary Harper, defending, said: "He takes full responsibility, he has not tried to back out of this.

"He says people could have been killed by his actions."

'You were lucky not to have landed on another vehicle'

Mr Harper added it was out of character for a man who had spent his life helping others.

Sentencing Ford, Kevin Lloyd-Wright, chairman of the magistrates bench, said: "You were driving at excess speed. 

"It was aggressive driving, you went 50 feet in the air, somersaulting. 

"You were very lucky not to land on another vehicle and cause serious injury, or worse.

"There was alcohol involved - you have admitted you had been drinking."

For the latest court and crime stories why not sign up to Sam Greenway's weekly newsletter? It's easy, just sign up for our email newsletters here and all the important stories that matter to you will be delivered straight to your inbox.

Ford was jailed for 14 weeks, suspended for 12 months. 

He was ordered to complete 10 rehabilitation activity requirement days and 80 hours of unpaid work.

Ford, of Pulley Lane, was disqualified from driving for 20 months and told he will have to complete an extended retest to get his licence back at the end of the ban. 

He was also ordered to pay costs of £185 and a victim surcharge of £154 - magistrates giving him 28 days to pay the total, £339, in full.