A DRUG driving 27-year-old gave an offensive gesture outside Worcester Magistrates Court to a photographer. 

Luke Bridger, of no fixed abode, but who gave a care-of address of Carlisle Road, Ronkswood, Worcester, made the one-fingered salute at a reporter moments after being banned from getting behind the wheel. 

Bridger appeared in Courtroom 1 on Thursday, (August 24), admitting driving a motor vehicle with a proportion of a specified controlled drug above the specified limit. 

Lauren Millichip, prosecuting, said at 4.10pm on March 21 this year, Bridger was pulled over in a Seat Leon on the A4440 heading towards Junction 6 of the M5. 

Worcester News: GESTURE: Luke Bridger making the gesture while leaving Worcester Magistrates CourtGESTURE: Luke Bridger making the gesture while leaving Worcester Magistrates Court (Image: Sam Greenway/Newsquest)

After suspecting he had smoked cannabis police asked him to take a roadside drug test, which he failed. 

After being taken to the police station he gave an evidential sample of 7 micrograms of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, a component of cannabis, in his blood, which is above the legal limit.

Miss Millichip said Bridger's previous convictions included drug-related ones but he had nothing previously motoring-related. 

READ MORE: Luck runs out for new dad street brawler as judge jails him

READ MORE: Hunt for woman accused of assault

READ MORE: Travellers block entrance to Droitwich supermarket - live updates

Bridger, who defended himself, was asked if there was anything he wanted to say about the offence by a court clerk. 

Bridger, previously of Ennerdale Close, Worcester, said he was originally stopped for insurance and not drugs. 

The defendant said: "I don't agree with how the officer acted in the case. 

"But I was the one who smoked, it is on me."

Worcester News: COURT: Luke Bridger appeared at Worcester Magistrates CourtCOURT: Luke Bridger appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court

He also stressed he had not driven on the motorway explaining he was pulled over by police on Sixways roundabout near to the motorcross track.

Jayne Burton, chairman of the magistrates bench, fined Bridger £120 and ordered he pay costs of £135 and victim surcharge of £48. 

He was given 28 days to pay the £303 total in full. 

Bridger was disqualified from driving for a year. 

The chairman warned Bridger he would not be able to drive until he had his photocard licence returned to him by the DVLA. 

For the latest court and crime stories why not sign up to Sam Greenway's weekly newsletter? It's easy, just sign up for our email newsletters here and all the important stories that matter to you will be delivered straight to your inbox.

The chairman added: "If you drive while disqualified, you could go to prison. 

"Don't even chance it."

Bridger thanked magistrates as he was told he could leave the court. 

As he left the court building Bridger covered his face and put a hoodie up before making the gesture.