WORK on a city tanning salon, where a car crashed through its window, is progressing so well staff hope to reopen before Christmas.

We reported staff and customers at Heatwave in Canada Way, Lower Wick, had a miracle escape when the car ploughed through from the front window on September 26.

Firefighters had to free the driver of the car, a woman in her 70s, following the crash.

And staff at the salon were devastated having only finished a refurbishment of the shop days earlier.

But in a new positive update Owner Nicole LePoidevin told us work was going much faster than expected. 

She told us: "We weren't allowed to touch anything for five weeks after the accident until insurers had accessed it, and work only got underway on October 29.

"Total Interiors Worcester, our neighbours, accepted the job and they have started it.

"The car tyres burn through the floor, but the floor is almost done. 

"They have begun rebuilding the walls around the sun beds, and this week will be the decorating."

Worcester News: CRASH A car crashed into a tanning salon in Lower WickCRASH A car crashed into a tanning salon in Lower Wick (Image: Newsquest)

The owner said the sunbeds were taking time as the parts come from Germany and Poland, while they also needed a new front window.

"It is going quicker than we thought," the owner said. 

"A lot has happened in one week.

Worcester News: UPDATE: Heatwave have been sharing updates on social mediaUPDATE: Heatwave have been sharing updates on social media (Image: Heatwave/Facebook)

"Our goal is for it to be finished and open before Christmas.

"It will look even better than when we finished the revamp - which will be a win."

After the crash, a spokesperson for West Mercia Police said: "Officers promptly arrived to find a female had accidentally driven her vehicle into the front window of a tanning salon. 

Worcester News: CRASH: The moment the car crashed through the windowCRASH: The moment the car crashed through the window (Image: Heatwave)

"The lady didn’t receive any injuries other than shock and the car has minor damage."

A fire service spokesman added: "A woman in her 70s was unable to get out of the vehicle due to debris.

“The crew freed the woman who was left in the care of the ambulance service.

“They made the car and the building safe before leaving the incident."