Celebrity chef and presenter James Martin has announced in a heartfelt speech to fans that he is taking a career break over his cancer diagnosis.

The TV personality, who is known for starring in shows like Saturday Kitchen and This Morning, updated fans on his condition while performing in Liverpool.

At the end of his show at the Philharmonic Hall earlier this week, he expressed his gratitude to everyone before announcing the sad news.

This came as James Martin wowed those in attendance with his energetic show featuring live cooking demos, musical numbers from his band, Midnight Ramblers and special guests.

James Martin opens up about his cancer diagnosis and reveals career break

Stepping onto the stage, the Saturday Morning and This Morning star told fans: "On a personal note, I just wanted to say thank you for 30 years of television".

This prompted a standing ovation from the audience, according to reports by the Liverpool Echo.

He added: "For me personally, I've been through a lot of s*** with cancer but I'm getting sorted at the end of next month.

"I will be back fighting at the end of February but I'm going on a little bit of a break to get that sorted. I just wanted to say thank you for all your support and all your messages."

The 51-year-old previously revealed in July that he had been diagnosed with cancer after being forced to apologise for his behaviour on the set of ITV's Saturday Morning in 2018.

At the time, he reportedly went into a foul-mouthed rant to the production crew after a drain at his home became blocked during filming.

He said: "I am absolutely furious, beyond belief. It’s my home, it’s my house. It’s my f**ing house."

He later issued an apology on X (formally known as Twitter), saying: "I have always strived to keep my private life private. However since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement."

He added: "I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments I could not attend his funeral. Later that month I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working. I was devastated that she had to go through alone."