Worcester City Council is advising residents on how to deal with damp and condensation.

They've reminded tenants in rented accommodation of changes they can implement in their homes, and when to contact a landlord for further action.

Damp, a common issue in houses, is often manageable using just a few modifications.

However, it could also signal severe problems, such as poor insulation, leaking gutters, and inefficient heating systems.

In such cases, it will need to be repaired by a professional tradesperson.

Condensation, particularly prevalent in cold weather, is the primary cause of in-house damp.

Cooking, drying clothes indoors or bathing produces water vapour that condenses upon touching cold surfaces like windows, uninsulated solid walls, or mirrors.

To combat damp, the council advises maintaining a well-insulated, draft-proof, and adequately heated home with good ventilation.

People are encouraged to cook with covered pans, dry clothes outdoors or indoors with an open window, and utilise extractor fans.

Wiping down windows and sills in the morning will also help but be sure to wring out the cloth afterwards, rather than dry it on a radiator.

Mould, manifesting as clusters of black dots, can grow due to damp or condensation.

This can lead to health problems such as respiratory diseases.

It's recommended to remove it with diluted bleach or special fungicidal wash – while wearing rubber gloves and safety glasses.

Applying specialist paint can also deter mould growth.

Two other types of damp will need a qualified tradesperson. These are penetrating damp and rising damp.

Cllr Neil Laurenson, vice chair of Worcester City Council’s Communities Committee, said: "It’s really important that tenants don’t sit and worry about damp in their homes, but that they know how to deal with minor condensation issues caused by household activities – and they realise when the issue is more serious and they need to contact their landlord."

If you need help or are having issues with a landlord, the council’s private sector housing team can be contacted at privatehousing@worcester.gov.uk.

Those suffering damp as they are unable to adequately heat their home due to financial pressures should visit: www.worcester.gov.uk/advice-benefits/support-with-cost-of-living-crisis

Act on Energy can also be contacted on 0800 988 2881 or at www.actonenergy.org.uk.