THERE were "chaotic" scenes in the city centre after a fire broke out in a flat above a butchers leaving four men potentially seriously hurt.

The four men declined further treatment after being seen by paramedics after a fire broke out in their home above M&M Meats on St Swithin's Street.

The road was closed and there was a large emergency service presence just before 7am on Sunday (November 12).

The fire began in the kitchen of a communal area and involved an extractor fan and three fire engines were sent to the scene.

Matthew Nelmes, the owner of M&M Meats, said he was woken by a message from a customer who had noticed the fire and called emergency services.

"It was absolute pandemonium," he said.

"It looked worse than it was.

"Driving to the shop, I thought, 'Oh no, what has happened to the shop?'

"Christmas is our busiest period and on Remembrance Day as well.

Worcester News: The flat fire was above M&M Meats.The flat fire was above M&M Meats. (Image: NQ)"I want to reassure customers that business is as usual, we are still in full trade and ready to take your Christmas orders."

Mr Nelmes said there was no damage to his store despite the chaos on the road.

A West Midlands Ambulance spokesperson said: "We were called by the fire service at 6.52am on Sunday to a fire at a property on St Swithins Street, Worcester.

"Two ambulances attended the scene. Upon arrival, we found four patients.

"They were assessed and had sustained potentially serious injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening.

"They declined further treatment from ambulance staff and received self-care advice before being discharged at the scene."

Three fire crews were on the scene, and two firefighters were dousing the flames, wearing breathing apparatuses and using one hose reel jet.

A Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Three HWFR crews from Worcester Fire Station were called at 6.41am on November 12 to house fire with persons reported in St Swithin's Street, Worcester.

"A fire was in the kitchen of a communal area involving an extractor fan.

"The fire was fought by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet.

"Electrics were isolated.

"Four male casualties were handed over to the care of paramedics. Police were also informed. Access to St Swithins Street was blocked.

"The incident was marked as pending closure at 8.40am."

West Mercia Police said the fire is not thought to be suspicious.