FIREFIGHTERS broke down a door to rescue a dog after a house caught alight.

People living in Brookfarm Drive, Malvern, sprang into action after seeing flames in the kitchen of one of the homes. 

Although the dog was rescued,  the family living there 'lost everything' and were 'gutted.'

Nicky Beresford Mcmillan, who also lives in Brookfarm Drive, said: "I was walking back from the Octagon Centre after a litter pick when my colleague said 'that house is on fire.'

"We called 999 and we were banging frantically on the door but no one was in. We heard a dog and realised it was inside, we then moved next door to get them out.

"We tried to break in to get the dog out, that was our priority at the time. That's when the fire brigade arrived."

Mrs Mcmillan said glass had started to crack on the kitchen window as the flames erupted.

"It could have been a different outcome, it was scary. The flames were large in the kitchen from worktop to ceiling and the windows went black very quickly.

"It's a horrible situation, they have lost everything."

Janine-Emily Summers, who lives at the property with partner Richard Willis, was too upset to go into details yesterday, but said she wanted to praise the "amazing community."

She said: "We walked away with the clothes on our backs, but people turned up all day with supplies - so at least we had a few bits.

“The generosity of strangers has been amazing.

"Also, businesses who contacted me and who have gone above and beyond to help.

"The Fig restaurant, Amelia K Academy, Little Blossoms Nursery, Upton Tots of Mess, Tiddler Town.

“The vicar from Holy trinity church also came to support me and has offered accommodation if we need it.

"The kindness in such a horrific time has been overwhelming.”

The donations came after a post on Facebook which called for help for her and her daughter. 

Mrs Mcmillan added: "The community has rallied round with donations, people have bought clothes and toys as everything was smoke damaged."

"I have forwarded messages on, it's very overwhelming for her. We were just in the right place at the right time - I'm just grateful everyone is okay."

Another neighbour said: "We heard a bang on our door and someone telling us to get out when we realised what was going on.

"A passer-by saw the flames and that's when everything escalated.

"She (Janine-Emily) is gutted and was so emotional, they lost all of their stuff.

"It's mostly smoke damage but they have lost the kitchen. The fire brigade said we could have been looking at a different scenario had it happened at night.

A spokesperson from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "We took a call to a house fire at 10.39am.

"A Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crew was sent from Malvern and two from Worcester. The house was made safe by fire service personnel. There were no casualties."