POLICE are investigating an alleged racial incident outside Sixways after a football game.

The alleged incident took place outside the ground after Worcester City played Great Wakering Rovers at Sixways Stadium on Saturday (April 6) as part of its Isuzu FA Vase semi-final first leg.

Videos circulating on social media show the alleged incident and a scuffle happening outside the match.

A spokesperson for West Mercia Police said: "We are aware of an incident that took place at Sixways in Worcester on Saturday afternoon (April 6).

"Officers are now investigating a racially aggravated public order incident."

Worcester City Football Club said they were supporting the fan who was targeted by the alleged abuse. 

The club spokesperson said: "There is no place in society for this sort of behaviour, and we are currently offering our support to the individual affected by this abhorrent abuse.

"We will be working with the relevant parties in investigating this alleged incident further.

"We ask supporters who witnessed the alleged incident outside the stadium to submit written statements or testimonials directly to the club via email.

"Saturday’s fixture was a special day for all of us at the football club and to have it tarnished by the behaviour of a small minority in attendance is extremely disappointing.

"We would like to apologise to any supporters, home or away, who saw or were caught up in any of the incidents that occurred."

It added the club has a zero-tolerance policy on antisocial behaviour and does not wish to be associated with the individuals involved.

The Worcester City spokesman added: "We thank the security staff who acted swiftly in calming the situation and taking appropriate action.

"We are currently working with Sixways Stadium to review the CCTV footage available, and anyone involved in the disturbances in or outside of the stadium will be banned from attending future fixtures."

The Football Association (FA) had given the club permission to rearrange the already postponed fixture from Claines Lane to the 11,000-seater stadium.

It was supposed to take place on Saturday, March 30 but had to be postponed due to a waterlogged field. Worcester City won 1 - 0.

Worcester News has contacted Great Wakering Rovers for a comment and is awaiting a response.